Have you tried the new grain bowls at Panera? I did, and it was delightful. I tried the Mediterranean Bowl w/ Chicken. It was so good that I feel like I could literally eat it for every. single. meal. But, that would get quite expensive so I decided to make my own grain bowl! Take that, Panera!
Now, here is the thing… this dish doesn’t exactly count as “simple.” SO MANY PARTS! But, what I did was buy grilled chicken that was pre-cooked, and chop up the veggies ahead of time so it was easier to put together. I also did NOT make my own hummus or tzatziki.. because, who has time for that?
I don’t think I have ever been more excited for a meal and this one is now at the top of my list. This past weekend we celebrated my husband’s birthday with far too much food and too many “beverages”, so my body was CRAVING vegetables today. This definitely did the trick!
The only thing that was missing was fresh naan. So, friend… if you are NOT trying to live gluten free then PLEASE do me a favor and put some fresh naan in the toaster and enjoy along with this delicious dish.
Mediterranean Grain Bowl with Turmeric Rice
For the Rice
2 cups white rice
1 tsp chicken buillon
½ tbs turmeric
3 cups chicken broth
For the Bowl
12oz grilled chicken strips
1 cucumber, diced
1 red onion, diced
1 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
1 cup artichokes, quartered
1 cup Kalamata olives, halved
2 cups romaine lettuce
½ cup crumbled feta
Hummus of your choice
Tzatziki (I used Target’s Good Foods dairy free)
- First, prepare the rice. In a large saucepan combine all rice ingredients. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to low and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- While rice is standing, heat chicken (pre-cooked) per instructions on the packaging.
- Chop all the veggies and portion out, store in ziplocks for easy access later on.
- On a plate, add rice then lettuce then all the other delicious things.
- EAT IT UP BUTTERCUP!