I don’t know if I should be proud or ashamed that this is the third taco inspired recipe in a row. I think I have a serious taco problem. I was originally going to call this taco casserole but doesn’t burrito bowl casserole have a much better ring to it?
The chicken taco stuffed peppers that I made a couple of weeks ago I think were by far the most delicious stuffed peppers that I have ever made. The huz doesn’t love peppers unless they are chopped really small, but even he liked those ones. Because he doesn’t love the pepper but loves the stuffing, I think it is time to experiment with pepper stuffing in the form of rice casseroles. It is almost fall in Minnesota after all.
Given my never faulting love for tacos – obviously a taco casserole was first on the list. Oh wait, I guess I am supposed to call it taco hot dish!
Burrito Bowl Casserole
2lb ground beef
¼ cup taco seasoning or 1 pouch taco seasoning mix
1 red onion
2 cans diced green chiles
1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes
½ jar salsa of choice
2 cups cheese (plus 1 cup for topping)
1 cup long grain white rice
1.5 cups chicken broth
1 tbs cumin
1 tbs chili powder
½ tbs garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a small pot, combine rice and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to low and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- While rice is cooking, brown ground beef and add ¼ cup taco seasoning. Mix well.
- When rice and meat are done cooking, combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Pour into a casserole dish and top with remaining cheese, then bake for 45 minutes – 1 hour.
- Top with desired garnishes and enjoy!
Thanks for reading! Questions, feedback? Leave a comment here!