I was supposed to post this recipe weeks ago, I am such a procrastinator! Now is an especially good time to share some comfort food, given the current climate. And no, I’m not talking about the temperature. But, this is going to be the one place that you all lovely people can come to without having to be bombarded with feelings and opinions about the election. Is anyone else just overwhelmed by it all? Oh wait, don’t answer that – we don’t talk about that here! This blog is for happiness and yumminess only. You’re welcome!
And what’s more comforting than a delicious BREAKFAST LASAGNA? This was a huge hit in my household. Hubby loved it. The recipe came from Food Network (aka my happy place) but it wasn’t gluten free. But, it looked too delicious not to make so I decided to adjusted it to add some yummy scrambled eggs and also made it gluten free. Visit Food Network.com for the original recipe!
I used Cappellos lasagna sheets because they are not just gluten free, but they are grain free also and they taste great! The other benefit is that they are fresh, soft lasagna sheets so they are really easy to work with and don’t require any pre-cooking. There’s quite a few other no-cook gluten free lasagna sheets as well that taste great too – Target has a really yummy one in their Simply Balanced brand. I will give you one tip though – make sure you save some sausage gravy for the top layer of the lasagna. Cappellos lasagna sheets can be a bit “doughy” AND no-cook gluten free lasagna sheets can get hard if not topped with sauce during cooking.
Give it a try, let me know what you think!
Gluten Free Breakfast Lasagna
What You Need
1 package Cappellos lasagna sheets (purchase online @ www.cappellos.com or at Whole Foods) or your desired brand
1lb pork sausage
½ white onion
½ tsb garlic
½ cup gluten free flour
3 cups milk
½ tsp nutmeg
2 cups shredded cheese
1 package spinach, thawed
Salt, pepper, olive oil
What To Do
- Make your sausage gravy! Heat 2 tbs olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the pork sausage, onion and garlic. Cook until the pork sausage has browned and cooked through, breaking it up into small crumbles.
- Once cooked, sprinkle flour over the sausage and stir until it is absorbed.
- Add 2 cups of milk and stir until the mixture starts to thicken. Then, add the remaining cup and bring to a simmer. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Remove the sauce from heat and let it cool.
- While your sauce is in the works, scramble 12 eggs, then set aside.
- Grease a large glass baking dish with coconut or olive oil spray.
- Place a spoonful of the sausage gravy on the bottom of the dish to coat.
- Place your first layer of lasagna sheets.
- On top of the lasagna sheet, place a layer of scrambled eggs, spinach and sausage gravy.
- Top with cheese and another layer of lasagna sheets.
- Repeat, until the lasagna is complete and all your ingredients are gone!
- Cover with aluminum foil and place in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, preheat the oven to 350 and bake the lasagna for 45-50 minutes until it is heated through.
Try one of my recipes? Tag it on social media – #ahealthybalanceblog
Have questions on ingredients? Ask them here! I love to hear from my readers! ❤