Today, I started back on my cardio regime. I had stopped doing cardio in order to focus on weightlifting but now that I am not doing the April competition (more about that one a different day – but I am coming for the August WABDL competition!), it was time to get back in the routine. I noticed after a couple weeks without cardio that I really do need it in order to keep my sanity. I have felt lazy, complacent and stressed the last couple of weeks. After 10 minutes on the elliptical today, I was already feeling better. Cardio is a great stress reliever and helps me to clear my mind when I have a lot going on up there. I also have more energy and feel better overall when I am on a regular workout routine.
I finished up my 4 mile workout and then the boys joined for some weightlifting. We finished up with lunges, bodyweight squats, jump squats, and abs. Ouch.
Then, after only a few minutes to rest – it was time to get my butt in the kitchen. Today was a busy one – hardboiled eggs, grilled chicken salad w/ red onion + cherry tomatoes, chicken apple sausage egg bake, meatloaf + sweet potato fries, chili, dark chocolate chip cookies and the star of today’s show…. Spaghetti squash + meatballs.
Have I mentioned how obsessed I am with spaghetti squash? I was really excited to make a chicken “alfredo” spaghetti squash recipe tonight and then Aldon reminded me that mixing spaghetti squash with coconut milk (for the creaminess of alfredo) usually does not go over well – AKA, he doesn’t like coconut milk. I decided to tone it down and stick to a traditional spaghetti and meatball dish instead. Though the joke is on him because later this week I am going to make a spaghetti squash artichoke pasta thing, he can stick to the boring old spaghetti and meatballs!
Spaghetti Squash + Meatballs
2 LB Italian Sausage
1 large spaghetti squash
1 large sweet onion, diced
1 can organic tomato sauce
½ can diced tomatoes
½ cup mushrooms, sliced
5 cloves of garlic, minced (2 cloves for meatballs, 3 for sauce)
¼ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
Salt + pepper, to taste
Prep your squash
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Cut spaghetti squash in half then scoop out seeds
- Place face down on a parchment paper lined baking sheet
- Bake for about 45 minutes until you can easily poke a fork through the squash to the skin.
- Set aside for the squash to cool enough to touch.
- Once cool, scrape out your “noodles,” with a fork.
Make some Meatballs
- Reduce oven heat to 350°
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Combine Italian sausage, 2 garlic cloves and ¼ diced sweet onion in a large mixing bowl.
- Shape the meat into small balls and place on the baking sheet, about one inch apart. You should be able to make between 12-18 meatballs.
- Bake the meatballs for about 30 minutes, rotating once halfway through. Cut one of your meatballs open, if it is still pink, put them back in for a few minutes. When cooked through, meatballs should not be pink and reach an internal temperature above 160°.
Make your Sauce
- In a small saucepan, combine one can tomato sauce and ½ can diced tomato. Add all seasonings and 3 cloves of garlic.
- In a separate, small pan, sauté your mushrooms and onions in a little bit of olive oil.
- When the onions and mushrooms are cooked through, add them to the tomato sauce.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes.
Now you have SPAGHETTI!
- Grab a bowl and fill it with spaghetti “noodles.”
- Top it with your tomato sauce and a few meatballs.